Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black Consciousness...To be Young, Gifted & Black

As Black History Month comes to an end, I wanted to take this time to reflect on what BHM 2011 has brought me.   As the generations gain more distance from the times of the Civil Rights movements, and the poisonous thoughts that racism is not as big as it once was continues, this history of my people suffers.  Where the griots, or story-tellers, of our ancestors were praised held in high regard, the generations have lost this. 

 I am so appreciative for having previous generations that don't let me forget nor ignore the history of my ancestors.  I know that my elders have high expectations of my peers and I.  I take this challenge seriously and I know that it is important to share the knowledge that I've gained to my peers and future generations.  I'm even thinking of getting another degree in Africa/American Studies...we'll see. 

Until then I leave you with this song by the great Nina Simone called "Young, Gifted, & Black."  This captures my current feelings on the Black Consciousness.  Enjoy!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...