Monday, June 21, 2010

Getting Around the Island

Within the last week I have been blessed in meeting wonderful people who want to help ensure that I have a great experience while I'm here. Wednesday after my staff meeting was over, a few co-workers and I went out for dinner. We weren't really sure of what to eat, but when we came to the conclusion of having food from the DR (Dominican Republic), I was so excited. However plans got changed and we ended up going to this place called JV Tequila's, which specializes in Central American cuisine. Let me tell you, they have the best black beans that I've ever had! They give you huge portions that look more like a plate for 2 and their prices are just as good as the food. I got beans, rice, roasted pork, plantains and an Arizona Mango Ice Tea for $13.00. I had so many left overs that it looked like I ordered a dinner to go!

On Friday I started my weekend right. The weather was gorgeous and let me tell you, when there's good weather the natives take full advantage. I think that it's because they only have good weather and sunshine for 3-4 months of the year. Any who, I went to the North Shore Beach with my Soror and co-worker. The beach isn't like the one back home in San Diego, but it's uniqueness is what I liked about it. The sand was rocky and wasn't the cleanest, but the distance from the shore line and the boardwalk is about 50 yards! Due to the area of New York that I'm in, there were so many plush trees on the other side of the boardwalk. I think that's what got me the most. After spending some time at the beach, my Soror took me to the other a little quaint town called Port Jefferson, just on the other side of Stony Brook. It's a great little port town with lots of small venues in a town with a lot of history.

On Saturday my roommate, two of her co-workers and I headed out to Huntington, NY for dinner and some drinks. We ended up meeting up with one of her college buddies and grabbing a couple of slices of pizza. It was good, but I think that I'll have better pizza when I go to the city this weekend...I'm hoping. But I will admit that it was really cheap - 2 slices and a medium drink was $5. We then walked to a little restaurant bar & club called Dr. Finley's Publick House around the corner from the pizza place. With a $5 cover, we made sure that we stayed to see the band, Hi Def, play a full set. They were really good cover band. They started out a little shaky, but they really got the crowd moving. They are perfect for playing all of the top 40 songs, and I mean ALL top 40. The got my support when they started belting out a popular Usher song.

Monday I took the city bus to the mall and had some fun shopping with my co-worker. I got some great jewelery, some pink lip glosses/stains and some much needed perfume. I will be uploading photos of these and my outfits shortly!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh the food sounds great! Especially the Black Beans!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...